Wednesday 29 May 2013


Wednesday 29 May 

The morning is grey.  I get up early to go to the bakery and have our first disaster.  We have forgotten that they are closed today.  So it is cereal again for breakfast, despite our fast yesterday.  

Then as we want to cast off, it starts to rain, quite hard.  We go to the fuel pontoon.  There is a problem.  The machine only allows you to buy 100 euro worth of fuel, which is only just over half a tank.  Richard doesn’t want to try further, so we go.  I hope this is not a mistake.

The weather is horrid.  We get out of the river and the wind is all over the place.  It goes down to 8knots and then up to 20.  The sea is also very rolly.  I have taken a pill, but I am not comfortable.  Actually not sick, just miserable, wet and cold.  So I spend most of the trip below stretched out on the bunk.  I thought we were going to divert to Concarneau, but when I get up Richard has taken us on to Ile de Groix.  Even Richard is fed up with the weather and has spent a lot of the trip at the chart table in the warm.

Coming in to port is a bit hairy.  The sea is too rough to take in the main.  So we start to go in the harbour.  There is just about enough room to take the sail down, but the main sheet gets caught in the hatch over the galley and that takes extra time.  By the time we’ve got the sail down the ferry is coming in and we have to rush into the port before I have got any fenders or lines out.  Of course it is also pouring with rain.  Eventually we get line up to go into a berth, but it is too short.  We don’t care, a nice Frenchman helps us with lines and we are in.  It is after 2:00pm, so we can’t get below too soon to dry out, warm up and get some lunch down us.

After lunch it stops raining!  We try to find a place to eat a Fruits de Mer.  Disaster again.  Both restaurants are closed today.  It isn’t going well for us.  We could try to order a take away platter from the fishmonger, but I would rather go out.  So we will eat in.  We can’t even take a shower.  They have closed the shower block and have temporary facilities which look awful and close at 8:00pm.  The heads are full of our oilies trying to dry out, so I’m not sure what I will do.

After dinner the sun sets and the sky is red.  Could that possible mean decent weather tomorrow.  I have my doubts.  The shipping forecast on Radio 4 is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment