Thursday 12 September 2013

Tuesday 3 September 2013


When I last posted I intended the entry to be the end of the log.  We had planned to return and move the boat along the French coast, but it seemed to me to write about that would be just a dull travelogue.  However, things have not turned out to be so hum drum as we expected, so Richard has suggested that I continue the blog and see what happens.

So we had booked Ryanair flights back to Beziers for today before we left the boat in July.  But as the date approached it began to look very much like we would never make it.  Well, to be more exact that I wouldn’t make it.  I managed to strain my right knee about two weeks ago and it never occurred to us that it would not heal before we left.  But not only did it not get better, it got much, much worse.  By Sunday night I could hardly put any pressure on the leg at all and I was in terrible pain.  On Monday I went to the Doctors to get some strong anti-inflamatories/ pain killers to get me walking again.  I even went to the hospital for an x-ray on Monday, but they couldn’t see anything serious wrong with the bones.  I was in such pain I could barely sleep all night on Monday, but finally when it came time to catch the train to the airport the pain killers had kicked in and I decided to go.  Richard said we could just stay in Cap D’Agde until it got better.

I knew that I would not be able to walk around the airport on the knee, so Richard booked us assistance which turned out to be a wheelchair!  I didn’t half feel a fraud.  Really all I needed was one of those motorized trolleys to take me to the gate (which was at the far end of the airport).  But Luton doesn’t seem to do those, so a wheelchair with four other aged decrepit souls it was for me.

The journey went remarkably well and we arrived at the Marina in good time for some supper.  There is no car access to very near where our boat was, so Richard dropped me at a restaurant and took some of the larger luggage pieces to the boat.  After dinner I could hobble to the boat with the hand luggage and I managed to get aboard.  So we made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment