Thursday 12 September 2013

Monday 9 September


After a light breakfast we make our way into the town to see if we can buy something suitable for our supper on a fasting day.  We try the fish stalls again. There are still very few open, but one has really nice sea bass, so we buy a fish and will eat it for dinner.  After that it is back to the boat.  We have to wait in for the diver to phone.  So we make use of the time.  The weather is much improved and therefore Richard cleans the outside of the boat quite thoroughly.  It really was dirty.  I do a little inside, but not much.  Finally the diver calls.  He cannot come today.  He is very apologetic.  He is gabbling away in French explaining why he can’t make it.  I misunderstand the tense of the verb he uses (I never did get on with French verbs and conjugation).  I think he is telling me he is going on holiday and my heart sinks.  When ask if that means he can’t help us at all he explains he will come tomorrow morning.  The problem was that he has just returned from holiday and has a backlog of work.

So now we have the whole day and it is nice and sunny.  So finally we go to the beach.  We find a restaurant on the closest beach on this side of the canal which lets out loungers and umbrellas and set ourselves up.  I have nearly run out of reading material.  Without the paper to read each day on my I-Pad, I have read all but one book on my kindle.  Richard reminds me that I have a copy of James Joyce’s Ulysses on board.  So I take it to the beach.  This will be my third attempt at getting through it.  Maybe third time lucky.

Dinner of minimum calories on the boat.  The fish does not cook properly in the oven.  I guess it is too big.  I have to finish it off under the grill, but it is still nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment